You cannot demote a domain controller using dcpromo. You receive the following error:
- In your source domain controller, head to Active Directory Sites and Services
- Expand the sites until you find the server you are trying to demote.
- Right click the NTDS settings under that server and try to replicate both TO and FROM that server.
- See what fails for your
If replication truly is disabled, you won’t be able to replicated either to or from the domain controller.
Complete the following to perform the fix:
- Launch an elevated command prompt
- Run either of these commands, depending on which issue you are having, either INBOUND, OUTBOUND, or sometimes both.
- repadmin /options MyDC1 -DISABLE_OUTBOUND_REPL
- repadmin /options MyDC1 -DISABLE_INBOUND_REPL
- Note: Replace MyDC1 with the name of your domain controller.
- Note: It sounds like this command is disabling, but it’s really an enable.
- Services you need to check to make sure are running. It wouldn’t hurt to restart both of them:
- Windows Time
That should be it. Give it a test again in Sites and Services and then try to demote your Domain Controller again. Let us know how it goes.