There are a number of scenarios where VSS instances might be failing or timing out. In this case, re-registering the DLLs might help. Here are the steps to take before and after registering those DLLs.
- Reboot the machine. We want a fresh look at what is and isn’t failing or timing out.
- If you cannot reboot the machine restart VSS. This is essentially the same thing as restarting, but only focuses on the VSS.
- net stop vss
- net start vss
- List the VSS writers using the following command: vssadmin list writers
- If there are failed or timed out writers in this list, try and restart those specific services (if you did not reboot). Re-run the command after restarting the services to see if this solved the issue.
- If it did not solve the issue, re-register the VSS DLLs
Here’s the command to do that:
Reboot your machine afterwards. It’s not necessary, but you’d be better off looking at the services this way.
Let me know how it goes.