This issue has been resolved in later Beta Releases. A new post has been made regarding the update.
If you’ve never used Trillian before, prepare to be inspired to consolidate your social chatting. Sure, you’ll probably want a full sized web app of some sort to deal with the major parts of social media. But what if you just wanted something easy enough to handle your every day chatting? Trillian takes care of that. Create an account, then log into every (Every!) account you have and you’ll have one chat program for communicating across many different platforms.
Windows 8 Issue
I’m writing this post to help with a known issue in Windows 8. For some reason, Skype starts and then immediately fails in Windows 8. From what I read, it looks like SkypeKit is the issue, not the latest release of Trillian. The fix is easy:
- Browse out to the \plugins folder within your Trillian Program Files folder. I found my installation at C:\Program Files (x86)\Trillian\plugins.
- Change the compatibility mode of skypekit.exe to Windows 7.
- Reboot and Rejoice
An easy fix, but a lifesaver nonetheless. Here are a few links to the issue as it develops. Hopefully by the time you stumble upon this post they’ll have this figured out.
- Popular Thread Regarding the Issue – http://help.trillian.im/discussions/windows/5040-trillian-pro-51-newest-version-skypekit-crashes-under-windows-8
- Less Popular Thread Confirming Their Understanding – http://help.trillian.im/discussions/windows/4212-trillian-does-not-connect-to-skype-on-windows-8
- Beta Blog for 5.2 b8 – http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2450